Monday, July 11, 2011

Musing Mondays-July 11

This week’s musing asks…
Do you think it makes you NOT (or less) “well-read” if there are certain genres that you won’t read because you KNOW you won’t enjoy them? Why?
"Well-Read" in accordance to freedictionary.com, is being  having read widely and intelligently; erudite ( "erudite" at least I know where that term came from in Divergent...). It doesn't mean that I as a reader, or any of our population, needs to stereotype a certain genre to be considered "well-read". I don't have to necessarily read all the works of Shakespeare and give a literary critique review to sound intelligent and to be considered well read.
My  love of books span different types of genre. I love YA ( and the community here) , fantasy, historical romance, adventure, and actually just realized I like modern fiction as well ( surprise surprise). I think I read mostly based on my mood . Its like when you pick out what you want to eat for dinner and just say I don't feel like having steak for dinner "Can I have a Caeser Salad instead?". Yes as I type this I am very hungry,
Ooh Yummy food.!!!
Despite the fact of how I choose my books is similar to how I order my dinner, I still consider myself "well-read".  It does not have to be a certain genre that you read that makes you sound intelligent. Its really comes up to you , as the reader in the end. What did you actually feel from the book after reading it? Where you full? Or did you think the book need something extra ? Like spice or pepper? Was it good? Did it leave a good impression?
If you can answer yes to all of these you can gladly consider self "well-read" and as well as "well-fed".
Musing Mondays is weekly meme hosted by MizB from ShouldBeReading located here
You can check out my review of Divergent on my blog.

3 comments:

  1. hey, what is wrong with Shakespeare?? lol
    I think a lot of the "classics" are just really, really good stories and we should not skip them just because we don't 'have' to read them like we did in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the food analogy! It was perfect (and now I'm starving thanks lol) I agree that we need to feed our personal hunger and not worry about what others think we should be indulging in.

    Here's my MM: http://www.composingcat.com/2011/07/musing-mondays-is-bookish-meme-hosted.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Love the analogy.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/07/musing-mondays_11.html

    ReplyDelete